Oral Surgery / Tooth Extractions at Dove Holistic Dental Centre
Whether you need teeth removed due to decay, gum disease or for orthodontic reasons, our extraction treatments are simple and painless.
After a thorough examination of our patient’s dental history, our dentists will determine whether tooth removal is an appropriate treatment for you. Ensuring that you’re relaxed and comfortable during the procedure is our main priority.
Our dentists will anaesthetise the area surrounding your tooth, checking it is thoroughly numb to ensure you feel no pain. After the tooth removal, we will ensure that the area is clean and able to heal.
Surgical tooth extractions are occasionally required for severely decaying teeth or those with crooked roots.
Do I need a Tooth Extraction?
You may need a tooth extraction if:
- You have severe gum disease (periodontal disease) – gum disease can loosen teeth which cannot then be saved.
- Severe decay - if the tooth is un-restorable i.e. not enough tooth or root left to restore, you may need an extraction
- Severe crowding – sometimes as part of orthodontic treatment, to create space, you may need teeth extracted
- Impacted wisdom teeth – if your wisdom teeth are impacted and causing problems you may need tooth extraction
- Severe tooth abscess – if root canal treatment cannot be done, then you may need an extraction.
Does Tooth Extraction hurt?
On the day of your procedure, you will take medications to help minimize post-operative pain and swelling. When you leave the practice you will be comfortable.
Most patients prefer to go home and rest with no other physical or scholastic activities planned for the first day.
Pain and discomfort will vary depending on the number and size of the teeth removed. In most cases, pain is limited and will subside within 24 to 48 hours. The medication you will be given is strong enough so you will feel minimal or no pain after the procedure.