Tooth Decay Detection at Dove Holistic Dental Centre
By detecting caries early the areas of decay will be much easier and less expensive to treat.
No one likes having dental treatment so the more we can prevent problems occurring the happier our patients will be. We try to reduce the amount of dental treatment needed by spending more time on preventing further problems occurring.
- Taking time to talk to patients
- Arranging regular and detailed oral checkups
- Ensuring regular and thorough cleaning of teeth to reduce tooth decay and gum disease
- Dentists taking their time ensuring the highest quality of treatment is provided
- Using only top quality materials so that once placed the restorations last a long time
- Fissure sealants for children’s adult teeth to help prevent decay before it starts
- Velscope technology to routinely screen patients for oral cancer
- Oral cancer awareness with smoking cessation advice
- Utilisation of powerful lighting along with higher magnification technologies, making it easier to detect tooth decay at an early stage.
- Utiliisation of the VistaCam IX-which allows us to literally see beneath the tooth enamel and detect areas of decay before it is visible to the naked eye.
- Salivia and Plaque Testing to determine your risk of tooth decay. Click here to read more on Salivia and Plaque Testing.
- Discussions with parents / patients re-dietary advice for children
Taking time to explain why prevention of gum problems are so important and why oral hygiene instruction is needed for both children and adults
Tooth Decay may or may not cause discomfort - even though it doesn’t hurt, the tooth is deteriorating.
The mouth is a dark place and in order to carry out good dentistry we need good vision.
At Dove Holistic Dental Centre we use powerful lighting along with higher magnification, which makes it easier to detect decay at an early stage to prevent tooth damage.
A tooth may appear healthy on the outside, but its real condition underneath the surface is hardly detectable at all. Digital x-rays allow us to see whether you have any decay under the enamel, any possible infections in the roots, or any bone loss around the tooth. However, we recognsise that X-rays will not show us everything.
With this in mind we have invested in a state of the art, fluorescence intra-oral camera, the VistaCam IX.
Introducing the VistaCam IX
‘Fluorescence technology’ may sound complicated, but it is very simple. Special light-intensity LEDs, project high energy violet light onto the tooth surface, areas of decay are seen as red whilst areas of sound enamel are seen as green.