The Mouth-Body Connection and Oral Hygiene
Effective hygiene is essential for keeping teeth and gums healthy. Maintaining good oral health plays a major contribution to your overall health.
Two key members of the Dove Holistic Dental Centre team are Lisa Clarke our Dental Therapist and Jo Ansell our Hygienist. Both Lisa and Jo have been specially trained to carry out gum treatments.
By working closely alongside with the dentists at Dove Holistic Dental Centre they will provide care tailored to meet your needs.
The Mouth-Body Connection
At Dove Holistic Dental Centre we do things a bit differently. The links between your oral health and general health may not be abundantly clear to everyone. However, there is now a huge amount of evidence linking gum disease and your oral health in general to a myriad of other conditions.
There is now strong evidence that the toxins and inflammatory mediators that are released by the gum cells in response to bacteria can get into the bloodstream daily. These toxins can then go anywhere the blood flows.
Did you know?
- There is a direct causal link between gum disease and heart disease
- Gum disease will increase the risk of a stroke
- If you have diabetes, gum disease will make it harder for you to control your blood sugar
- Researchers are now looking into links between gum disease and Alzheimer's disease
- If you are pregnant, gum disease can make it up to 8 times more likely that your baby will have a low birth weight
Our team will discuss the best ways for you to maintain optimal oral health.
Dove Holistic Dental Centre Hygiene Services.
- Professional hygiene cleaning helps to reduce gum disease by preventing the build up of dental plaque and tartar. As gum disease is the biggest cause of tooth loss, this in turn helps you to keep your teeth for life.
- Our hygienist/therapist are experts in teaching you how to look after your teeth and gums and will teach you how to prevent tartar reforming. Each patient will be provided with an individualised patient home care program.
- New evidence suggests that by improving your oral health you can reduce the risk of developing heart disease, strokes and diabetes. (the body-mouth connection).
- Sodium Bicarbonate Polishing with the Aquacut Quattro. This treatment is very effective at removing staining caused by red wine, tea, coffee or smoking.
- Patient Education on diet and other preventative measures.
- Adults who have a lot of decay may benefit from having fluoride applications.
- Fissure sealants applied to the permanent back teeth of children to help reduce tooth decay.