Mouth Cancer Screening at Dove Holistic Dental Centre
Mouth cancer is a dangerous abnormal growth that can affect any part of the mouth.
Did you know?
- Mouth Cancer is in the top 10 of the most common cancers
- In the UK over 4,500 new cases of oral cancer are diagnosed each year.
- Less than 50% of these cases will survive 5 years, that is one death every 5 hours.
At Dove Holistic Dental Centre we use a state of the art devices called the VELscope Vx Mouth Cancer Screening System.
Along with our conventional mouth screening examination, which includes looking inside your mouth for any lesions that might be visible to the naked eye, we can use the VELscope Vx to literally see beneath the surface to detect potentially dangerous growths we might have otherwise missed.
- The VELscope’s blue light stimulates natural fluorescence in the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Natural fluorescence, seen through the VELscopes Vx, allows us to see disease not visible to the naked eye.
- The VELscope Vx helps us to discover oral disease BEFORE it can be seen under ordinary light.
The VELscope examination takes about 2 minutes as part of your regular examination, involves no pain, rinses or discomfort and is completely safe.
As early detection of oral cancer transforms survival rates to 90%, we feel you will appreciate the peace of mind this type of screening can provide.
We are one of the few practices on the South Coast that are able to provide this type of screening. If your dentist does not the VELscope Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System we are happy to offer screening to non -registered patients for a one off fee. Please contact us to arrange the screening on 01243 820 4242.
What are the signs of mouth cancer?
Mouth cancer can appear as:
- An, often painless, ulcer that fails to heal within three weeks.
- A growth or swelling which has been present for more than two weeks.
- Sometimes as a white or red patch in the mouth.
Am I at risk from mouth cancer?
- If you use tobacco (smoked or chewed) and drink too much alcohol, you will greatly increase your risk of getting mouth cancer. If you do both together, your chances of getting it are even greater still.
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight can increase your risk of lip and skin cancer.
- An unhealthy diet has been linked to mouth cancer.
- HPV- the human papilloma virus (HPV), transmitted via oral sex, is a growing threat as a mouth cancer cause. Experts suggest it may rival tobacco and alcohol as a major cancer cause within 10 years